Friday 7 August 2009

Chinese soup


I was thinking that I need to cut down on my intake of what I like to call 'Kevin food'. As some of you know, my little brother's diet is made up of entire JUNK and crap that the body subsequently turns into more crap.... So tonight I thought I'd go a bit healthy.

Sifting through my freezer I found some lamb neck which I assumed was still edible (1/2 year is still alright right?)... and defrosted it under a cold tap (we are still microwave less *sob sob cry* - yes I am so very dependent on modern technology and yet unable to keep up with current technological advances)... Now this may look very plain, simple and boring but believe me, it's bursting with flavour and you are going to wish you had some after reading this =P

You start by boiling up some roughly chopped lamb in salted water. Fry up some ginger (very important!) and some onions and other vegetables (I chose carrots as those are the only vegetables I have left in my fridge). Once the lamb is boiling skim off the crap that floats to the top and add your stir fried vegetables. Add other non fried vegetables, I added chinese leaf, choi sum, wintermelon and soft tofu (note: different vegetables cook at different speeds eg. Tofu goes in the very last minute and only needs a gentle boil to 'cook'). Season with salt and sugar (yes, that's it!). In the meantime boil up some noodles, whatever tickles your fancy and place nearly boiled noodles in a serving bowl, the heat from the soup will finish off cooking the noodles to perfection. Scoop in the soup and veges and serve with a sprinkle of roughly chopped spring onions. Simple non? ^_^Y The gentle flavours will come from your selection of meat and vegetables (and the fresh ginger + spring onion), this light soup is perfect for a quick and nutritious meal any time of day! =]



Ps. My mum normally just makes the soup and we'll have it as an accompaniment with the rest of the meal which will consist of a lot of other vegetables but this is the easy studenty all-in-one 'recipe'. This is the way I cook it, the way I like it, but it will be different wherever you go etc etc etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment